My name is Emily, I am currently studying Graphic Design at Deakin University in Melbourne. This page features my research, sketches and other images/artwork of inspiration.

Sunday, August 9, 2009

SHAPE

Silhouettes:
Shape is the dominant element in design consisting of silhouettes. A simple shape can describe a lot about an object. When converting my Little Red Riding Hood drawing into a basic shape, I found that the features could be communicated without the use of line or texture. This is the initial black and white version.



SHAPE:
*Creates impact, draws attention, simplifies.
*Geometric, natural/organic, abstract.
*Positive/negative shapes.
*Defines space.
*Draws attention to 'hot spots'- functionality.
*Silhouettes, stencil art.

Examples of stencil art found in Melbourne:



These photos show how stencil art is made up of positive/negative shapes, both equally important in forming the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment