My name is Emily, I am currently studying Graphic Design at Deakin University in Melbourne. This page features my research, sketches and other images/artwork of inspiration.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Ideas:

For our second assignment, I will be designing a poster for a music festival titled 'Street Beat Festival'. The name relates to the location of the festival which is Brunswick street, Melbourne. Because the festival is taking place in a city, it is difficult to find an area suitable to accommodate a large number of people. In order for the event to be successful and stand out from other similar festivals, organisers have decided to close one of the city’s most popular streets for a day in January. An outdoor location is ideal as the festival will occur in summer. The area enables the use of multiple stages and also the inclusion of street stalls and markets. The event will begin in the late morning and continue through the day, finishing late that night.
The genre of music that will feature is predominantly ‘rock’. Bands will include Radiohead, The Strokes, Interpol, Arcade Fire and more.
The event aims to attract music-lovers between the ages of 15 and 30, it will be an alcohol free event to promote safety for younger attendees. The festival aims to have a relaxed and friendly atmosphere, uniting people with common interests. Entry will require a ticket which would be expected considering the number of well-known, established international and national acts.
The poster design should reflect Melbourne and its music scene.


****
For my design I want to either use some of the photos I have taken at music festivals I've attended, or use something basic/arty/creative. If not the photos then I might use a section of an artwork I painted on a cut out of a guitar. I was inspired when I saw it in my room and I think it could make for an interesting poster.









***
These are VERY rough sketches/drawings, outlining the basic layout of my poster. I decided I wanted to use the scanned image of the painting because I feel it is more interesting than manilipulating a photo in this case. It also allows me to do more with texture and line. I want the image to be a major feature in the composition and have the type work around it. At this stage I think all text will be black to contrast against the colours used in the image.


No comments:

Post a Comment