My name is Emily, I am currently studying Graphic Design at Deakin University in Melbourne. This page features my research, sketches and other images/artwork of inspiration.

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Image #1: Dadaism

RESEARCH:
Aspects of design associated with this movement:
-Artists involved in this movement deliberately ignored rules of composition.
-Often emphasis on typography, (random letters, non-sensical words).
-Abstraction.
-Collage and photomontage.
-Emphasis on texture (seen in 3D 'assemblages')
-Shape: cut-out paper and other images.
-Line: particularly seen through use of text. Features of composition positioned diagonally, horizontally, vertically etc.

I looked at many artists whose work was created in the dada style.
I really liked the detail and collage of Hannah Höch:


Another artist whose work I admire is Jefim Golyscheff. The use of mixed media and contrasting textures (especially in the following example) is really effective.


Raoul Hausmann's artwork interests me again because of the images included. I also think the colours used are effective. The placement on the page is aesthetically pleasing despite dadaism being an 'anti-art' (and therefore anti-balance of composition) movement.


The geometric shapes and 'random' arrangement in this design by Sophie Taeuber-Arp remind me of designs seen today. It is simple but appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment